Sunday, September 28, 2008

Weaving Soy silk



When I plyed this soy silk with silk noil it was so drapey that I thought it would make a great scarf. Since I only had 150 yards it wasn't enought to ask Sue to weave so, yesterday I warped a number 2 "toy" loom that I have had forever and gave it a try.
This is the soy silk/silk on a silk noil warp with rayon chenille and silk stripes.

The loom leaves something to be desired. The shuttle that came with is too think, too wide AND too rough. I am now using shuttles made of mat board. Not a 100% improvement but better. I do like the way the rustic appearance of the weave and to my surprise have about 2/3rds of the scarf woven.
Got the new Spin Off magazine and saw wonderful looking small folding looms advertised in it. Maybe I'll upgrade.





No comments: